Want to make a difference in our community? Have a passion for connecting local farms to local people? Nevada City Farmers Market is searching for a new Market Manager for our weekly downtown market. Below is the job description and application information. If it piques your interest … please apply!
About Nevada City Farmer’s Market
The Nevada City Farmer’s Market is in its eighth year of operation. It is a Certified Famers Market and Community Event with about 35 vendors. Our mission: To enhance the quality of life and economic resilience of our community by providing access to high quality, locally grown products. To support regional, sustainable producers through direct access to consumers. To create a community meeting place and to foster consumer education.
Market Manager Job Description
The Market Manager is a part time “independent contractor” position that oversees the weekly Saturday morning market (typically June – November) and performs all administrative functions that help insure a successful market. The Market Manager also participates in year round meetings and strategic planning with the Board and implements strategies including education and community outreach. The Manager works under the direction of the Board of Directors with many diverse constituencies – farmers, vendors, non-profits, volunteers, community members and the media.
- Meeting with the Board as requested, including each of its regularly scheduled monthly Board meetings
- Assisting the Board with developing and implementing its strategy (i) for the Market generally, (ii) for retaining current producers and value-added vendors, non-profits, and artists, and (iii) for soliciting new producers and value-added vendors, non-profits, and artists
- Attending the Market each Saturday it operates in Nevada City and supervising its setup and its takedown
- Assisting the NCFMA with managing the Market’s producers and value-added vendors, non-profits, artists, and musicians
- Coordinating and supervising the participation in the Market of NCFMA’s volunteers
- Administering the NCFMA’s participation in California’s Electronic Benefit Transfer program
- Developing and implementing the NCFMA’s marketing strategy and publicity program(s) for the Market
- Assisting the NCFMA with its social media presence, and other marketing materials, including working with the NCFMA’s graphic designer and keeping all such materials current and relevant
- Assisting the NCFMA with media advertising and promotional activities for the Market
- Assisting the NCFMA with its public relations, including its presence on social media, its publications, and its relationships with the news media
- Assisting the NCFMA to ensure that the Market’s rules and regulations are adhered to by all of its producers and value-added vendors, non-profits, musicians, and artists
- Assisting the NCFMA to ensure that the Market and its producers and value–added vendors, artists and other participants at the Market comply with all relevant laws, statutes, ordinances, or governmental rule or regulation now in force or which may subsequently be enacted or promulgated
- Strong leadership skills, self-directed
- Excellent interpersonal skills including tact and negotiation ability
- Clear and organized work habits, positive attitude, flexibility
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Some event coordination experience
- Creative problem solver
- Connected to and familiar with the Nevada City community.
- Commitment to NCFMA’s mission
- Skill in program development and management
- Access to a computer and the internet
- Strong computer skills, including experience with Excel, Word, Constant Contact, WordPress
- Ability to collect and analyze data about the market
- Insured vehicle, valid CA driver’s license, cell phone
- Knowledge of sustainable, local agriculture and retail is a plus
- Physically fit and able to lift 40 pounds
- Salary is $15-18 per hour, depending on experience, for 15 hours per week during market season and approximately 150-200 hours during off-season.
- Weekly markets are from June through November. Board meetings are approximately once per month, year round.
Further information about the Nevada City Farmer’s Market, our vendors, and our policies can be found on our website www.ncfarmersmarket.org.
Please email your cover letter, resume, and references to email@example.com. Application deadline is Friday, November 13th, 5 pm. Interviews will be held in the late afternoon and evening of November 19th. Position is expected to begin January 1st, 2016.
Questions: Please email firstname.lastname@example.org.